Stuck? Planning to get stuck? Might possibly ever get stuck? Listen up! Recovery can be a dangerous and challenging task — but that’s why we’re here to help! We’re keeping our eyes out for some simple recovery tricks – so simple they’re stupid – that should be common sense as a offroader!
In this video, you’ll learn the basics of snatch recovery. Safety is continuously emphasized, as it should be any time recovery is discussed. Here are the highlights of the video:
- Set up your rig using gloves and make sure there are no twists or bends in the snatch strap
- Attach your shackle at an approved recovery point on the stuck vehicle
- Place a recovery dampener in the middle of the strap for safety in case the strap snaps
- On the recovery vehicle, the safest pulling point is the tow hitch
- Lay the strap out to create momentum for recovery
Now it’s time for recovery. The job of the recovery vehicle is to create slow momentum without suddenly reaching higher speeds. The driver of the stuck vehicle should put their rig in 1st/low and apply gas on the wheels as they begin to become unstuck. Remember to always communicate between the two vehicles and make sure everyone is clear when recovery begins!